What an amazing day! I spent the entire day at BYU (my alma mater) going to classes to learn how to live an inspired, enriched and fuller life. It was so much fun just to be up on campus again and in some of the same classrooms where I spent my undergrad studies. I really do love Provo and my BYU experiences. I can't believe it has been 12 years since I was a student there.
Some of the highlights:
- The Sabbath Day is a gift from God, not a burden but a blessing. It is a test to see if our devotion is complete.
- The facets of marital intimacy include: emotional, intellectual, spiritual, recreational, financial and sexual.
- It's not the parent's primary job to provide a happy childhood. A parent's real responsibility is to prepare children for a happy adulthood.
- Our children's belief system, "I will become what I think you think I can."
- Treat children as they will be, not as they are.
- Where there is a silent and withdrawn man, there is usually a critical woman.
- Recurring themes of the past few General Conferences:
Visit the temple often
The promise of angels to bear us up is real
Faith and Doubt cannot exist in the same mind
Live with respect to those of other faiths
Education Week (or day, in my case) is such an amazing experience. Experts in all fields--marriage, family, cooking, traditions, scriptures, gospel knowledge, disciplining, etc. You name it they offer a class on it. Everyone is running from class to class hoping to get some new (big or little) bit of information to help them achieve an even greater happiness in the journey.
Gavin spent the morning with me and then went home to be with the kids while I enjoyed the rest of my day with my sister and bro-in-law
Gavin with my sister, Heidi and her husband Scott
I even got to go to some classes with my BFF Daisie!
All the Stewarts joined us for the musical Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. It's no secret that I cry over everything. It started after Morgan came into my life. But I cry even easier after having spent the entire day in uplifting, spiritually motivating classes. I knew I was doomed when the musical started and I noticed that two of the cast members had Down syndrome. One of them actually had a lead role and was amazing. I wish I could have talked to him after the show, but everyone was starving and we ran to the CougarEat for some ice cream before they closed. The show and seeing an extremely talented individual whom also happened to have Down syndrome was the perfect ending to this day!
Cassidy, Hadley and Karsyn
Well we are off on another 4 day adventure to Bear Lake tomorrow. I am not looking forward to all the packing and laundry again. It's our last hurrah before school starts next week.