I'm gonna blame it on not feeling well and not just a 7 year old phase (at least that is what I am hoping!). Morgan woke up extra-grouchy on her birthday. She was awake most of the night and the next few nights with a cold and croup. She was in a bad mood all day. I tried to explain to her that it was her birthday and most kids spend the day happy and excited, not ornery and mean. She didn't care. I've taken some editorial liberties and decided to only post the pics and videos of a happier girl.
Birthday morning. We sang Happy Birthday to her and then had cake for breakfast. I didn't get best mom award by being a healthy cook (or for any reason, actually)! We were rushed.
She was very excited to get a new bike, until she kept getting stuck in the kitchen while trying to ride it around the island.
I loved going into her classroom and seeing all of the kids excited to see me-- "It's Morgan's mom!" and all of them being so kind and cute with Morgan! She loved having all of the attention for her birthday song and then she passed out her treat (ice cream sandwiches) to all of her friends.
Birthday party at Jungle Jim's (an indoor mini-amusement park) with some of her cousins and friends.
We received some exciting news from her school on her birthday. The resource teacher called to let me know the school was approved 2 aides (a morning and afternoon aide). Which means Morgan will be able to do full inclusion in the classroom and not be removed from her peers during the day. The district is still in the process of hiring the 2 aides but I am excited to meet with them and get going on her IEP goals. I love the social experience she is getting but also want her to continue to grow academically. She has been doing really well in the regular classroom and so far I am happy with our decision.
Here is a little video footage of Morgan's birthday celebrations. I love all the laughter at the beginning of the video but my favorite is at the end when she decides she'd like to make 7 wishes with her one candle!
In honor of her 7th birthday, here are 7 things we love about Morgan
- She loves to ride her bike and sneaks out of the garage all of the time to go ride it. She has gotten better about not 'running away' and knocks on the front door when she wants to come inside (the knock is usually our first indicator that she is gone).
- She loves babies (especially Baby Luke "Loot" and Abi -- her baby cousins)!
- She is one smart cookie and is reading on a first grade level.
- She still loves Barney but luckily she's expanded her horizons to now include Shrek ( but don't let your kids watch Shrek 3. It started a "You shut up. No, you shut up!" Morgan phase at our home!), Finding Nemo, Shaggy Dog, and The Sound of Music.
- She loves a good corn dog with sauce (ketchup).
- She's Griffin's best friend
- She is a great swimmer and after a summer full of swimming lessons--swimming is her favorite activity.