Morgan is now six years old! The birthday celebrations started in the morning at Kindergarten. Griffin, Mia and I took a little birthday treat (ice cream sandwiches) for the class to sing to her. She was so excited to have us (especially Griffin) there and be a part of her school day. She and Griffin sat down next to each other in circle time and had a great time singing together. Morgan was singing all the words and enthusiastically doing all of the actions to "Dem Bones" for me. Just as I was starting to think how wonderful it was to see Morgan so social, talkative and outgoing in her new class, I overheard the teachers commenting about how Morgan had really come out of her shell today. So I asked them how Morgan usually acts in class -- usually really quiet and shy. I start volunteering in her classroom next month and hopefully that will help her to get more comfortable and outgoing so her teachers are able to see all that she CAN do!
Morgan showing off her "ankle bone" in Dem Bones
Her birthday party was that night at the rec center. She loved opening presents, eating cake and ice cream and swimming in the splash zone. She and Griffin stuck together the whole time. They are so cute to watch together. They are very dependent on each other and best friends (even with all the bullying Morgan has given him in his short lifetime). If Morgan was nervous to go out into the deeper area, she just made sure to hold Griffin's hand and knew if Griffin could do it than she could, too.
Make a wish!
Morgan and family
- Morgan was delivered by her dad at home. We didn't know before Morgan was born that she had Down syndrome. I was sent home from the hospital in 'false labor' and got into the bathtub to help with the pain. Morgan was born about 45 minutes later. Gavin did a great job as my OB and used a shoelace to tie off the cord until the paramedics arrived a few minutes later to take us to the hospital. We found out about 6 hours after her birth (we hadn't seen her that whole time) that they suspected Down syndrome.
- Morgan has a very unique personality. It is easy for her to get labeled as "happy and sweet", but she is anything but a label! She experiences all emotions just like everyone else.
- She absolutely LOVES Barney!
- She loves to cut her hair! (Just check out all the recent pics on the blog)
- She loves to listen to her music in the car, but at headache decibel levels. "Turn it up, please." (I turn it up a little.) A few seconds later, "Turn it up, please." (Again I turn it up a little.) "Mom, TURN IT UP!!" Yes, we have had her hearing checked and she hears just fine! :)
- She is a great teacher. She has taught our family about unconditional love, acceptance, and the potential each individual has to make a difference in this world.
We love you so much Morgan!!