Time to say goodbye to 2011. It was a great year that went by way too fast. We did a family activity for FHE and had everyone write down their top 20 blessings of 2011. It was interesting to hear what the kids came up with and to see that everything on the list was not something materialistic, even if Xbox and iPod touches did make a few lists.
My top 20 (in no particular order):
1. Family trip to California
2. Girls trip to Seattle/Vancouver
3. Mia potty trained. Finally!
4. Happy at work
5. YW presidency
6. Youth Conference
7. Good Friends
8. Dinner, Movie, Reality TV date nights
9. No hospitalizations for any of the kids
10. Grandpa got a better diagnosis and prognosis :)
11. Morgan started cheerleading
12. Griffin’s big hugs
13. San Francisco trip to celebrate 15 years of marriage
14. New York surprise birthday trip
15. Mexican cruise with Jensens and Nan & Papa
16. Forty years old
17. Activity Days leader
18. New bishopric
19. Having a bunny for 11 years and a dog for 9 months. Both had to go.
20. 40th Birthday surprise. Trip around the world (aka Las Vegas).
Biggest lesson from 2011: Life is fragile. Appreciate family. You never know how much time you have together.
We celebrated 2011 with dinner and games with my family. Everyone had early morning church the next morning so our party died out around 10. I really debated about going to sleep and even climbed into bed. But it just didn’t feel right to go to sleep before the New Year.
I got out of bed around 10:30 and convinced Gavin to go over to our friend’s party for a few hours. We played a few rounds of Celebrity Names and then it was time to get the bubbly out and countdown to the new year.
We woke up anyone who may have been sleeping in the neighborhood with our loud pots and pans, fireworks and cheers.
Happy New Year!