Saturday, July 16, 2011

May the force be with you

The countdown for Griffin’s 5th Birthday began approximately 98 days ago.  I don’t remember any of my other children being this excited about birthdays.  It makes it more fun for all of us with all of the excitement and anticipation in the air.  He made a birthday countdown chain, tore off a new chain every morning, counted the remaining chains and made the big countdown announcement every morning . . . "Only ____ more days until my birthday!”  He loves everything Star Wars and knew he wanted a Star Wars themed birthday party (which translates to a swimming party with a Star Wars cake and pinata). 


He woke up bright and early and couldn’t wait to open his gifts.  We eventually woke up all of the other kids so they could watch him open his presents and sing happy birthday.  He was thrilled with all the new Star Wars toys and school supplies.


It took him a minute to figure out how to work his new “Tailspin” bike but now he (and Ryan) love it!


Ryan helped  him put together his new Lego's.

I took Griffin with me shopping for all of the birthday decorations and cake.  He loved choosing the cake, balloons, party gifts, etc.  I debated if it would be more fun just to wake up and be surprised by it all but it was so fun having him with me.  Watching as he looked at all of the options and then choose his favorites . . . Star Wars tattoos, Storm Trooper arm bands, Darth Vader pinata, Luke Skywalker and Boba Fett puzzles.


It was the perfect summer day for swimming with his friends and cousins


It isn’t a birthday party without a pinata, just ask Griffin!  The pull string pinata was a new option, less violent but harder to control when the candy falls.  Almost everyone got a turn to pull a string before Gregory found the magical string to open the door to the candy.

The cute (and wet) party guests


All of these cute cousins were born within 2 months of each other.  How lucky to have 5 cousins all turning 5 years old!


The 4 boys.

And 5 things we love about our big 5 year old boy!

1.  He’s a smart boy who loves learning and being creative.  He spends a lot of time drawing pictures of Master Yoda for his friends and cutting out pictures from coloring books.  He has used all of my envelopes making letters and invitations for all of his friends.
Darth Vader


2.  He can dive down to the bottom of the swimming pool and get rings off of the bottom.  Only if he’s wearing goggles, of course.


3.  His favorite movie is Star Wars (Star Wars #1 and #2).

4.  He loves playing with his friends.

5.  He likes me to lay down by him at night which is a new love.  He got a big boy bed for Christmas and the first few nights I asked him if I could lay down by him and he told me no.  Then he finally decided to let me on his bed after about 2 minutes he said, “Okay, mom, you can go back to your own bed now.”  

5 Year Old Stats:
42 lbs (63rd%)
46 in (95th%)

Happy 5th Birthday Griffin!

3 comments:

Grandma Bethany said...

I love how excited he was for his birthday and how he helped make his own 'invitations'. What a lucky boy to have so many cousins his age! I love how he showed so many at his party to swim like the big kids do and not 'doggy paddle'.

Happy Birthday to sweet Griffin!

Summer said...

What a cute party! Easton was so sad to miss it! I love all the cute pictures he draws. Easton was so excited to get an envelope full of cool Star Wars stuff when we got home. We will have to get them together soon to play.
Happy Birthday Griffin!

Smilen Champ said...

Hi
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. i hope your son had a great Birthday. Your daughter, is an amazing, inspirational hero. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and developmental delays. I love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com